Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 9 - Oops

Remember the other day when I bragged about how I am completely self-taught when it comes to most of my crafts? Apparently that's fine when it comes to some things but not when it comes to others.

As I mentioned, I am making a sweater for my friend's new baby. I have never made a sweater before. I figured a baby sweater would be easier for my first try so I went ahead and bought the yarn and pattern.

I followed the pattern and went on my merry way. Everything looked fine, but it wasn't. When I finished all the rows of the body and was preparing to attach the shoulders, I noticed the pattern had measurements. So I got out my tape measure to make sure I was doing it right. Yeah, I wasn't. The measurement was completely off.

It seems I forgot to check the gauge. The pattern called for a G hook or whatever hook needed to get the gauge. Because I didn't use the right size hook to get the gauge, the sweater was too small. So I had to rip it out and start all over again, this time using the proper hook.

I felt so stupid but it never really mattered for the hats and scarves I'd made before so I didn't check. Lesson learned. Always check the gauge. Unless you like to make and remake things. And there will be no picture today because its just too depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment