Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 26 - Xin Nian Kuai Le


Over the weekend we went to a Chinese New Year party put on by Bunny's Chinese school. After stuffing myself with (about 6 too many) dumplings and watching the dragon dance, I found myself in a bit of a nostalgic mood.

While we were waiting for Bunny's referral from China, I started making all sorts of Chinese themed jewelry. I collected old (and new) coins, character pendants and anything with a dragon. I incorporated a lot of these items into my work.

The trip to China only strengthened that creative bent. One of our stops was the Pearl Market in Guangzhou. The Pearl Market is the size of a large shopping center and each store is a gem merchant. You can buy pearls, jade and any semi-precious stone you can imagine. Needless to say I was in heaven.

Part of the profits from any item I made and sold from the stones I bought in China or from the Chinese themed pieced I had collected earlier went to the Half the Sky Foundation which works to better the conditions for children living in Chinese orphanages.

But as these things go, once I became a mom, life got in the way and I stopped making jewelry for a while. Everything went into storage and rarely saw the light of day. But this weekend's events got me thinking about making this type of jewelry again. So I rooted around in my stash, found some pretties and got to work.

The coin is a replica of an old Chinese coin and the red disc is porcelain (from China). I hope to have this piece listed in the shop tomorrow with 50% of the proceeds going to Half the Sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment