Thursday, January 8, 2009

Day 8 - All Wired Up



When it comes to crafting, I am basically self taught. Its not that I am opposed to taking classes, I just don't want to waste my time. I would rather play around with things trying to figure out how to make it work the way that I want, than have someone tell me I'm doing it wrong. So if someone asks me how to make a wrapped loop or some other jewelry technique, I could tell them how I do it but it wouldn't necessarily be textbook correct.

I guess I'm just independent that way. Or maybe just stupid. Whatever it is, it just works for me.

A several years ago I was in New York visting my friend. At one store I saw a ring made out of knit or crocheted wire. It looked so delicate and intricate. I wanted it. But it cost $100 so that was not going to happen. So I said I'll just make one myself.

I didn't really think much of it again for a few years until I saw another piece of crocheted jewelry. Finally I decided I had to make one for myself. The only problem is I didn't know how to crochet at all. So I bought a teach yourself crochet book and taught myself. A few scarves later I figured I was ready to move on to wire.

Once I tried it, I was hooked (groan). You can create really cool things with normal hooks. Or you can by the teeny tiny hooks and create more delicate designs. I've been playing around with this for a while but haven't added much to my storebecause I haven't figured out how to photograph them to show off the intracacies of the design. (Its part user error and part wrong camera for the job.)

These are two works in progress. The chain will most likely be made into a necklace with the circles going all the way around. The other will most likely be a pendant.

No comments:

Post a Comment