Sunday, February 1, 2009

Day 32 - Plarn

Plarn? What do you mean you've never heard of plarn? Plarn is what all the cool chicks are crafting with these days. Plus plarn is way cool to say.

Plarn for those of you who don't know is yarn made from plastic grocery bags. The bag is cut in strips. The strips are joined into a ball of "yarn". You can then crochet or knit with the plarn.

Yesterday I was at the grocery store when I saw a girl carrying a bag made of plarn. I did something I never do, I stopped her to talk about her bag. Sure enough, her mom had crocheted it out of old plastic bags.

When I go to the store I always bring along my reusable bags. If I have too many groceries I get a little upset that I have to use the plastic bags. But not yesterday. Yesterday I was glad I got those bags because I wanted to make some plarn.

So when I got home I got out my trusty scissors and went to work. I went through three bags but I don't think I have enough to make anything substantial yet. So I'll be working on the plarn for a while. But I'm excited to make something from it.

1 comment:

  1. I just happened upon your post about plarn and had to stop and leave a comment. If you need a pattern for a tote or other projects using plarn, I hope you'll stop by my blog as I have many free pattern ideas. Best wishes.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete