Friday, February 6, 2009

Day 37 - Proud


For the first time in my life, I sat down with a paint brush, scissors and glue and made the exact piece I was envisioning in my mind. Well maybe not exactly the same, because I think it actually turned out better than I imagined.

So many times I've sat down and the piece I was working on didn't turn out. I think that is the reason I've always said I can't draw, that I'm not an artist. Because I have high (sometimes impossibly high) standards, I can never measure up. But then I did.




I saw an ad in a magazine using several levels of cut paper. That intrigued me and I wanted to do something similar. I drew out a design and cut out the template. I had some scraps of mulberry paper which I used for the stems. I had some of my own watercolor paintings that I used for the flowers.

I planed on having a base layer which I would cut the flower shapes from and lay the stems on top. I had an idea for the way I wanted it to look but I didn't know if it was possible to achieve. I'd never done anything like that before. But I bravely grabbed some acrylics and got to work. I layered the paints, hoping that it would turn out. Each time I added a new color I was scared, would it work or would it ruin it? I held my breath when the brush touched the paper. If I could have closed my eyes I probably would have. When I finally put the brushes down and really looked at what I had done. I was amazed. It looked just like I hoped it would. It looked good.

When I assembled the piece it looked good too. I got goosebumps thinking that I had just made art. I wasn't just goofing around. It was art and I was an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment